Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Ride with a 991 testdriver

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Ride with a 991 testdriver

OMG guys I'm so excited

A test-driver from Porsche takes me for a ride in the new 991 Carrera S tomorrow !!!

It was the first time I saw the 991 in the flesh, in a small town here in Germany. I asked him If I could take a look at it and after a little talk he offered me a (passenger) ride in it tomorrow. Took some pictures today, but only 3.

It looks AWESOME! Yes it is BIG, not GTish big and its really beautiful and dynamic. Its a grown up 997. Interior, well I like it a lot. Its not as GTish as I thought. Sure it looks a bit like in the cayenne or panamera but it doesn't ruin the sportscar feel inmo.

So guys, I HOPE I'm allowed to make a video and take some more pictures tomorrow. Then I will upload it here and give you an impression how the new 911 feels like!

If I'm not allowed, I'll only upload a few pictures, because I respect it and I want some more test drives in the future. And don't expect awesome pictures

Ah by the way, it was an US spec model. You guys don't need these stupid bumps any longer at the rear.

Edited today 9/26/2011

Here we go!

Exterior

Like I said, it’s a grown up and more modern 997. The front appears huge compared to the predecessor. This comes from the wider front track and the new, rather large DRLs. Headlights also appear much bigger, although I think If you have a 997 right beside the 991 as comparison you realize that they're isn't much difference. Striking front bumper? Not necessary on the car, the DRLs take up this job. Does the bigger size destroy the sports car look? Not at all. It rather makes the 991 look more modern and dynamic.

On the side, bigger wheels and a slightly more dynamic profile are new, but apart from that, there’s not much difference. I guess the wheels hide the increase of the body.

Rear, not much going on but appears also bigger, actually it probably is. Hey, who doesn't like a attractive big ass on a sportscar?? The new spoiler is a welcome refreshment. What else, you all know the taillights are smaller, but good looking and match to the rest of the car.

All in all, it’s exactly how a 911 should look these days and it fits perfectly besides cars like the SLS, 458 or other competitors. Personally I’d go with brighter colors like white, but there’s nothing wrong with black.

Interior

The platinum grey interior is definitely not my taste. Can't imagine how anyone can favor it over black, brown or beige. Black and beige are classy, espresso would be my choice here. Is it overall too luxurious? Not really. It’s neither as beautiful/shiny nor as big as in the Panamera or Cayenne. Center Console is clear structured and nice to look at. Found all the buttons I want within seconds. The only button I didn’t understand was the button to turn off the start-stop-system. (Yes you can switch it off!) Just for information, it’s an A with an arrow around it. Overall no need to miss the old interior in my opinion.

Ride

Sadly I was just the passenger and with speeds only up to 100 mp/h it’s hard to feel great differences, but I noticed a few. First thing I noticed was that the ride comfort is better. Even in sport plus, it absorbs bumps better than the old which is good for long journeys. Though, thanks to the new PDCC, there’s no body roll during cornering no matter how fast you go. (OK, theoretically there might be a tiny little bit, but not worth mentioning). According to the driver, the 991 is also more stable in high speed corners and maybe it’s just imagination, but I thought I noticed this too. It really felt less nervous, which is a logical consequence of the extended wheelbase. Does it feel heavier? Lighter? None of those noticeable from the passenger seat.

Acceleration

Not really different. On paper it will be faster in straight line, but in real life it’s not very noticeable faster than the predecessor.

Sound

Still sounds like a Porsche 911 with slightly less growl on lower revs (I’m comparing with a 997.1 carrera s with manual gearbox), a slightly higher pitch due to the higher red-line and a wonderful 458 style bubble when you shift back.

Hope my impression could help to imagine what the new 911 feels like!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
subscribed!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Jason@Olympic is an unknown quantity at this point
Please share your report with pics and video if possible! I am really looking forward to this car!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
nice....
We demand a full write up

Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
nice....
We demand a full write up
I will do my best!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Member
mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!mkultra You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
any chance you can upload the 3 pics taken today?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond reputeZEM930 has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing GT about that car. The 996 is GTish compared to the 993. Can't wait to hear how it "feels" faster on track than a 997 GT3 ;-)

Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Justin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the roughJustin_G is a jewel in the rough
You lucky dog. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the car!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Epic opportunity. Pics or ban

Old 09-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maybe I will drive the 4s 997.1 an hour before the meeting, so I can compare these two cars a little bit better.
very curious about ride quality, acceleration, pdk transmission, sound and what he says about the new steering.

a little foretaste (looks way better in the flesh trust me!)
Name:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  115.8 KB

Quick Reply: Ride with a 991 testdriver