Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Armor All Wheel Protectant = Don't waste your money

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
Armor All Wheel Protectant = Don't waste your money

I was at Autozone a week ago picking up some stuff, when I heard a guy talking about Armor All wheel protectant. He went on to day how it would keep brake dust from building up on your wheels. At this point I am very curious, and in my never ending quest to cure the brake dust saga with my car, I decided to get a bottle and give it a shot. I got home, read the directions, followed the steps, and applied it to my wheels. What is funny is that if I would have researched this myself on the internet I would have believed that this stuff was gold, like this guy in this YouTube video.

YouTube - Armor All Wheel Protectant- Brake Dust Test

However, in my opinion he is very wrong, or maybe after trying to apply this crap 3+ times following the directions I am just an idiot. I applied the first coat very liberally to my rims, and let it sit for 12 hours before driving my car. BTW, the car in this case is a 2006 CTS-V. The following morning I drove the car to work with a couple of stops on the way (40+ miles). When I got out to my displeasure there was a noticeable amount of brake dust build up on my rims. I figured that I did not apply it correctly, and re-applied it (after cleaning my rims) when I got home that evening.

Dejavu, the following day, same drive, same problem. At this point I am kind of stumped. How could so many people on the internet rave about a product that does not do what it claims to? Determined that I am doing something wrong, I cleaned the rims again. I pressure washed them, and cleaned them. I pulled my car into the garage, and sprayed ANOTHER coat on the rims. One thing that many people said on all of the reviews that I read was to let it sit for 1 hour. Having said that, I let the product sit for 1 hour, and then ran some errands. When I got to my first destination I noticed that there was brake dust build up on my rims.

Now I am just flat out irritated. I supposed if you drive through mud, snow, etc., your rims will stay clean, but if it is brake dust that you want to get rid of, there is no replacement for elbow grease. Sorry for this rant, but I am really ticked that this product is being marketed as the end all beat all for wheel protectant. It even says on the bottle that it repels brake dust. This is just not true. I can only conclude one of two things from the youtube video that I listed above 1). The guy is a liar or has some affiliation with Armor All 2). My tests are flawed, and my own personal experience as your average consumer is not accurate to real world results.

EDIT: I realize that I might get flammed for using an Armor All product on my car, but do the research yourself through google. It is even on detailing forums as to being a great product. Truth be told, I have a different opinion of this product.

Last edited by ambleZ06; 08-04-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
The war with brake dust Will never end.

The thing I find to work, is to just clean the rims all the time.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Teamspeed's Official Brain Surgeon
brnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond reputebrnsrgn has a reputation beyond repute
ceramic brakes

Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Maybe you're just too anal?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
I seal my wheels with Rejex. Brake dust still gets on them, but it comes off somewhat easily. I "swiffer" them after I get home.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
I also heard about this stuff from the detailing forums. With painted black wheels, I HAD to find something to repel the dreaded brake dust. Honestly, I'm not really sure if it works. I've only used it on my 'weekend' car and I unfortunately don't have a lot of time to drive it that much.
If it does work, it's not very dramatic. Other downsides: can is good for 2, maybe 3 applications. If you use it too liberally, it settles at the bottom of the lip with this nasty white residue.

Stuff ain't cheap either ($7-8 per can). I'm taking a pass on it from now on.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
There is NOTHING you can do about break dust, unless u go with Ceramic brakes.
Absolutely nothing.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Wearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearymicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ced
There is NOTHING you can do about break dust, unless u go with Ceramic brakes.
Absolutely nothing.
I had real good luck on the SRT-10 swapping out the pads for low dust Ceramic pads. Took me 3 hours in the garage with most of that cleaning the barrels and major reduction ~80% in brake dust and easier to clean.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
i think these wax stuff only makes cleaning easier. sounds like your pads are really dusty. replacing them with aftermarket ones will be your best bet. otherwise, you can hook up car battery to the rims to apply an electrostatic charge. dust will peel off.

JK!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond reputeambleZ06 has a reputation beyond repute
As someone stated earlier, I guess I am too anal. The car is getting close to needing new pads, and I was going to get ceramic ones anyway. I just figured with all of the positive reviews about this product that I would give it a shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Armor All Wheel Protectant = Don't waste your money