Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

change pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 AM
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
change pads

i know a lot of guys have talked about changing pads to improve performance. let me jump on that wagon for another reason.

i took the 2010 GT3 out for a hammering at the track. bedded everything just right.....but the stock pads just dont dissipate the heat well at all, and i was pushing wicked hard in the turns because those brakes are just incredible, and the speed coming in was incredible, not because of me, but because that little 2010 GT3 putt putt engine has a little go to it!<GG>

anyway, warped the rotor in one day at the track. could have been the particular track as this one has like 23 turns in 3 mmiles and very aggressive turns...

when we ordered the rotors we were told Porsche had none in the country at the very moment. and many are warping.
bottom line, i think everyone ought to spend the little extra coin and swap out those pads for some racing pads and not warp stuff.

just a little insight from what i just went thru. maybe i misunderstood, but i figured i'd share.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Montana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond reputeMontana has a reputation beyond repute
You're right. But I'd be VERY surprised if you've genuinely warped a disc as opposed to just crudding it up with pad transfer.

Race pads are simply better at maintaining friction despite heat, and can tolerate prolonged periods of heat better without breaking up/creating pad transfer etc.

If I were you I'd seriously think about Alcons, the disc/bell setup and the materials used are a lot better than the OEM Porsche stuff which does have a bit of a reputation for cracking under track conditions.

Last edited by Montana; 05-06-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
9972RS is on a distinguished road9972RS is on a distinguished road9972RS is on a distinguished road9972RS is on a distinguished road
Is this the same issue here?

Source and More Images:
Whirlwind romance ends | BLOWDOG.COM

"And what a whirlwind romance. This is a record for me, having owned the car for only 3 weeks to suddenly moving it on, I genuinely had no intention of selling the car on, but I happened to be in the right place at the wrong time.After my trackday at Snetterton, my brakes developed an unpleasant noise and vibration. An appointment was made to Porsche Reading to rectify said problem, although my fears were cemented by then – it was obvious the steel brakes were simply not up to the task. A huge disappointment, given how Andreas Preuninger waxed lyrical about them at the launch. Frankly, they’re a huge disappointment and I decided at that point to never spec steel discs on a GT3 again (more on that later!).

Regardless, I was told by Porsche, after countless photos and videos sent to Porsche Germany, that the brakes had been subjected to abuse and would not be covered by neither goodwill nor warranty. I came away perplexed, if there’s one thing I do not do, that’s abuse my cars. I know better than many the cooling cycles necessary for discs during trackday use. So I came home and after some careful consideration, decided to put the car up for sale. I figured winter was coming, it wasn’t going to get any good use and I had the RS coming in March (more on that later!!).
Within a day of putting the car up for sale, Porsche called me and offered to buy the car there and then. Deal done and sold. The car was already at Porsche Reading having the brakes investigated, so it was simply a case of coming to my house to collect the V5 documents. However, after having committed to the sale of the car, I shortly got told that due to dealer process restructuring, I also wouldn’t be getting the GT3RS.

The temptation to cancel my sale on the eve of the buyer turning up was immense and took a number of phonecalls to trusted colleagues to sway me from one side to another. In the end, it took a sensible approach and I let the car go. It’s a MASSIVE shame and I’m more upset about this epic trackday booked for this Sunday at Silverstone. It’s practically a who’s who of trackdays. Still, I’ve just bought something else for the weekend….
As for the RS, I’m going to have to hunt one down in the new year come spring time. I’ve heard there are very limited numbers planned with only about 40 cars due to the UK. This is going to make it very difficult to source one without a premium, but I’ll keep looking.

And my Guards Red GT3? Well, given that it was only in my hands for a few weeks, it’s difficult to really justify the £30k premium over the Gen1 GT3, which, let’s face it, is a stupendously good car. Really, it’s utterly magnificent. And the Gen2? Well, it’s faster, that much is certain – the fact that it can now keep up with a Nissan GT-R on full chat says a lot. It’s also very good looking with significant improvements to it’s overall aesthetic – that rear spoiler is truly epic. It’s also updated with mod-cons such as touch screen sat nav, ipod connector etc.

I’ll miss this car for sure, I didn’t get to really bond with it – I guess I’ll leave that for the RS. Speaking of RS’s…."