Notices
Japanese Speed Nissan GT-R, Lexus LFA, 370Z, NSX, Supra, & More Discussion Forum

Do you think honda will make an S2000 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
paintballing66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you think honda will make an S2000 replacement?

Hey folks! Over the weekend I got to drive a Honda S2000 CR. I've always wanted one and it was the first time I've ever had the chance to drive one. I was pretty blown away at what a fun car it was to drive.

It made me super bummed that Honda was discontinuing the car this year. Even though they said they don't have plans for it, do you think Honda will make an S2000 replacement in the next few years?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
While I've never had the chance to drive the S2000, I hope that Honda does make a successor to this car in the near future. It was sort of their stand-in halo sports car when they discontinued the NSX. Ideally, I'd love it if Honda could bring back both the NSX AND the S2000.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
I've never driven a S2000 because I'm too tall for them, I always wanted one and am jealous of drivers that fit comfortably in them.

Originally Posted by Alzilla
Ideally, I'd love it if Honda could bring back both the NSX AND the S2000.
And then, Honda should figure out how to make the NSX depreciate more so I can afford a used one.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
I hope they don't make a new one!

I've driven one briefly, and I'm sure they would find ways to *uck it up hugely. IMO they already did in 2004 with the US AP2, I'm sure a new S2k would be a driver friendly POS trying to milk the myth the AP1 generated, mostly based on marketing hype.

I would still love to get myself a clean AP1, it's such a lovely car to drive ... and lucky for me it fits me like a glove. Never found any other car I fit in as well as the S2k.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
paintballing66 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's actually a good point Zorro. If Honda tried bringing it back I wonder if they would "dumb it down"- give it a softer ride and such- a bit to make it more appealing to the masses and the Buick crowd.

But then again Honda would know a little sports coupe like the S2000 is intended for a very specific niche of people so I personally think a replacement would probably around the same if not better. I'd like to see a replacement.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
The S2k is one of the very few sub $100k cars I'm actually yearning to drive, you never see one around these parts.

Plus usually I don't like the look of Japanese cars, the S2k is one of the rare exceptions.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
In short, NO. Why?

Honda is more focused on more 'boring' cars. Even their Motorcycle line has been 'dumbed' down.

I think Honda is going through a weird transition right now. Look at the Acura line up. Can you say "Transformers"? The new Acura line up looks like hell.

The S2000 was a fantastic car, and I think a really smart looking roadster. Unfortunately the market just dried up on a car like that. It's a shame, I'll miss that Red Valve Cover.

For the $30kish range there are a lot more choices in the FUN department nowadays. New and Used.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond reputeLAZY TURBO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tractorcrusher
I've never driven a S2000 because I'm too tall for them, I always wanted one and am jealous of drivers that fit comfortably in them.
My friend is 6-4 and he drives one daily. how tall are you?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
QuickNick is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant help but feel that Honda will not release a new 'S2000', just a spiritual successor in the same vain.

Unlike many other manufacturers who tend to make their sports cars increasingly comfortable, less dramatic and easier to drive such as BMW (M3) Porsche (911/Turbo) etc Honda actually seem to stay within the guidelines their customers actually want, hence the consistency of their Type R range.

I would go so far to say I would definately expect them to release a rear wheel drive, high revving NA V-Tec powered convertable sports car within the next 3 years. They just might however come up with a silly name like the NX1S-R Type RRST or something.

QN

Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LAZY TURBO
My friend is 6-4 and he drives one daily. how tall are you?
6'5" but 36" leg inseam... I can fit in them in a very aggressive seating position but nothing comfortable enough to drive around town in for a day.

Quick Reply: Do you think honda will make an S2000 replacement?