Notices
Luxury Cruisers and Performance Yachts Sea Ray, Sunseeker, Riva, Chris-Craft, Formula, Wally Boats, Magnum Marine & More Discussion Forum.

Serious boat for serious boaters>>> Bertram 63

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
Serious boat for serious boaters>>> Bertram 63

Always been a huge fan of Bertram. Outstanding build quality and they can handle almost anything the sea can throw at them.

Bertram Yachts | Bertram Yachts 630

Not trying to hate on Wallys, Pershings, and other "designer" yachts, but those types of boats would be stuck at the dock while this thing is out pounding through 8-10 footers without a problem.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:37 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
That thing looks comically tall.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond reputeBIG LUV has a reputation beyond repute
That boat moves out.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
kraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud ofkraeburn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jox
That thing looks comically tall.
Probably just the picture. I saw one just last week and because of the beam it is very proportional. I can see your point if it had a tuna tower but a lot of the enclosed bridge boats I see are not outfitted with them.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by BIG LUV
That boat moves out.
Damn right, check out the optional engines:

Standard Engine Twin MTU 12V Series 2000, 1825 HP
Optional Engine 1 Twin MTU 16V Series 2000, 2000 HP
Optional Engine 2 Twin CAT C-32A, 1825 HP
Optional Engine 3 2 x MTU V-12 2000 (1825 hp)
Optional Engine 4 2 x MTU V-16 2000 (2000 hp)

Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Here is a review, with the 2000 MTU's it cruises at 37 knots!!!!!!!

Marlin - Bertram 630

---------------------------
The newest, fastest and toughest member of the Bertram fleet, the 630 Bertram, is a step-up in speed, comfort and spaciousness. This vessel represents an expansion and modification of the sleek lines and profile of her incredibly successful predecessor, the Bertram 60, and she does her little sister proud.

The 630's deep-V hull carries on the lineage of the Bertram 60 and the awesome 54. These boats opened up the offshore world of big-game fishing by making the long runs to the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and to the mid-Atlantic canyons safer and more comfortable.

Bertram's new models no longer maintain a constant deadrise. A deep forefoot enhances the 63's head-sea ride, but the slightly warped hull form, which holds 14 degrees of V at the transom, maintains steady tracking on down-sea runs.

Nasty Day, Nice Ride
With the largest standard engine package, a pair of 2,000-hp MTU V16 2000 M91 engines, the company proudly lists a 40-knot top speed and a 37-knot cruise that eat up the miles. Although Bertram's brochure boasts a "never-have-to-throttle-back" ride, that's obviously an exaggeration from some shorebound copywriter who has never seen what the sea can throw at you. After putting her through her paces on a rough day out of Florida's St. Lucie Inlet, I can, however, personally attest to her excellent head-sea capabilities, hands-free down-sea tracking, and extremely dry quartering sea performance in nasty conditions.

A sudden schedule change left me with only one day to do a sea trial, and the wind blew southeast at 20 knots with gusts to 25. As a full-moon ebb tide raced out between rock jetties, the shallow inlet churned to a frothy white. Boats have flipped, and men have died in this inlet during conditions like these. One particularly steep-backed wave launched the fish box lid as we hung on in a successful attempt to not follow it overboard. Outside the jetties and out of the reach of the swirling tidal flow, I took the helm to begin the sea trial in some real seas - and I came away impressed.

During a successful "no-hands" test, I ran down sea at over 30 knots, and the boat tracked straight and true. We drifted for a while in white-topped, breaking seas to see what drift-fishing live bait would be like in these messy conditions. We experienced amazingly little roll as we lifted and fell from trough to crest. The wide chines and deliberately low center of gravity did the job Bertram designed them to do.

I respected both my aging body and the new boat's well-appointed interior, so I decided to ignore the brochure copy and throttled back on the returning head-sea run. We could run easily at just under 20 knots without slamming and banging. Anyone who might have wanted to run faster in these conditions, in any boat, would be welcome to my share of it.

Quartering into the seas at 23 to 25 knots, we ran easily with no spray on the bridge. I eased back down to 17 knots and tested all the quartering angles, deliberately trying to get spray on the bridge. But with just a slight mist on our sunglasses, we had no need for foul-weather gear.

Construction
The Bertram 630 boasts a solid-fiberglass hull, along with composite hull sides and superstructure made with a high-density foam core. Structural bulkheads and web members are also constructed of vacuum-bagged composites. The flying bridge and decks feature molded hand-laid and vacuum-bagged fiberglass composites to provide strong, yet lightweight parts that are well-finished and easy to clean.

To avoid spending time in a hot engine room, I did my machinery inspection before leaving the dock. A single athwartship fuel tank, which actually forms the forward engine room bulkhead, is perfectly positioned so as to preserve a uniform center of gravity regardless of fuel loads. Aft of the engine room is a machinery space that allows easy servicing of the two 23-kW Kohler gensets and all air-conditioning and refrigeration compressors. A Leeson 110-volt pump allows easy oil changes with either an oil reservoir or 5-gallon plastic containers. Oil and fuel filters are inboard of the big engines for ease of maintenance. The entire engine room sparkles with easy-to-clean Awlgrip surfaces.

I liked the fuel sight gauges with Lexan tubes and a protective outer shell of aluminum. All the freshwater plumbing is color-coded - blue for cold and red for hot. The batteries are my kind of batteries: heavy-duty, lead-acid and placed in a spot for easy servicing. I don't prefer maintenance-free batteries in the real world and abhor engine rooms with batteries that are not readily accessible for service and changing. And speaking of service friendly, the engine room's overhead hatches allow an "undressed" main engine (with some bits and pieces removed) to be lifted out for major overhaul or repair.

Bertram adds an interesting shut-off mechanism for the raw-water intakes - not the marine seacock I am familiar with, but a heavy-duty, industrial butterfly valve and a "crash valve" for emergency induction bilge pumping from either main engine.

Interior
The salon interior is first-class with real cherrywood cabinetry and teak and holly galley soles. The layout comes in two salon arrangements and a choice of a three- or four-stateroom design.

I was impressed with the grab rails in the salon and in front of all doors - there are never too many places to acquire a steadying handhold in rough weather. An elegant wood grab rail down the salon overhead sports a molded fiberglass insert to protect the fabric of the overhead itself, a functional addition of which I took note.

The galley was a cook's delight, especially if the cook likes to fish. Bertram designers deliberately left an unobstructed line of sight in all directions, from the four-burner undercounter cooktop to the two fridge and two freezer Sub Zero pull-out drawer units, the dishwasher, the compactor, or the microwave/convection oven. Your mate can easily make a sandwich assembly line and still watch the baits or keep an eye out for birds and tailing fish.

If I had to pick one design feature as the most outstanding, I would have to compliment Bertram on the amount of storage space in the living quarters. Under the master stateroom, which is to port and properly located as far aft as possible, there is an enormous amount of lazarette storage that's usually overlooked or inaccessible in most boats. This is in addition to the many hanging lockers, drawers and cabinets found throughout. There are even six mirrored lockers over a 7-foot-long countertop and hand basin in the head. The mirrored panels seem to make the head look even bigger than it actually is, and the amount of space for necessities and personal effects surpasses that of a lot of onshore accommodations.

The bridge access is via a unique molded fiberglass circular stairway. I was a bit uncertain about this feature when I first saw it while the boat was under construction, but it offers quick and easy ascent or descent and is more secure and easier to navigate than almost any bridge ladder I have seen. On the closed-flying-bridge model, the stairwell is inside the salon.

Fishing or cruising, anchored off some secluded cay or in a yacht club marina, the new 63-foot Bertram is a versatile boat, and a really nice one at that.

LOA 63'2"
BEAM 18'1"
DRAFT 63"
WEIGHT 47,000 pounds
FUEL 1,849 gallons
WATER 251 gallons
MAX POWER T 2,000-hp MTU

BASE PRICE $2,457,000

Bertram Yachts
305-633-8011
Bertram Yachts | Feel the Ride. Live the Legend.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
As much as I like it I would have to skip it simply because there isn't enough room for the ladies.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
A friend of mine has a boat like this and it is the ultimate for a good guys weekend. Luckily we are still in college so his dad picks up the tab for the gas. I think I would prefer a much more functional boat like this as opposed to more of a cruiser.

I only have a 28' center console with 2 Honda 250 outboards. It will roll but is no where near these boats.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Member
cayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enoughcayenned will become famous soon enough
A friend of mine has that exact same boat with a tuna tower as well. Unreal! 4 staterooms, 3 baths. His is a 2006 I believe.

Its also for sale in case anyone is interested I can get you in touch with the owner instead of a broker.

Here is a link with pics on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...mpernicholsons

Last edited by cayenned; 01-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.