Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

One of my buddies is looking at an 04 Gallardo, need info

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
One of my buddies is looking at an 04 Gallardo, need info

One of my buddies is looking at an 04 Gallardo this weekend. Orange, Egear, 9K miles for an asking price of 85K. Hes gonna offer 75-79K and see if he bites. Besides obviously getting a PPI, which Im strongly advising, are there any real common problems to look for with an 04?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed only cause I wanna know too!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
RedGTS is on a distinguished roadRedGTS is on a distinguished road
Mainly just verify the service history and status of the clutch and E-gear updates. Nothing at all wrong with an '04 if it has a newer version of the clutch (and has significant clutch left, which they can also tell via computer) and the E-gear software updates. Some of the early cars had rear main seal leaks too but most of those were fixed under warranty and/or when the clutch was updated. In general it is also better to stay away from the first 400-500 cars built too (which you can tell by the serial number), although at this point any issues would presumably have been taken care of. The PPI should be done by someone who knows Lambos, obviously, and who has no affiliation with the seller. I'd actually be somewhat suspicious of that car as described--that price for that car seems a good 10k low to me for a pristine no-stories car, even given the recent depreciation in the market.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Clutch, Clutch and Clutch.

They run out in the egear after about 5,000 miles.

It's at least a $5,000 fix and it takes a while.

I was at my independant mechanic's shop just yesterday and he had two 04 Gallardo egears in there for clutch replacements.

I would shy away from the 04 and the 05 egear for this reason. Get a manual in those years if you can - they did not have the clutch issue.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
RedGTS is on a distinguished roadRedGTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Barrister
Clutch, Clutch and Clutch.

They run out in the egear after about 5,000 miles.

It's at least a $5,000 fix and it takes a while.

I was at my independant mechanic's shop just yesterday and he had two 04 Gallardo egears in there for clutch replacements.

I would shy away from the 04 and the 05 egear for this reason. Get a manual in those years if you can - they did not have the clutch issue.
Not true. The reason the early cars had clutch problems related to both the clutch itself and the E-gear software. Assuming an '04 has had a newer clutch installed (say version D, E or F) and the E-gear software updates, an '04 E-gear will be just as easy on a clutch as an '06 or later. Many of the early cars' clutches didn't make it 2k miles, and that's one reason (in addition to the passage of time) why most of the cars have been updated (both hardware and software). An updated clutch in an '04 w/updated software should last 15-20k miles or more unless it is abused or driven ignorantly.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
You need to get your Buddy over to Teamspeed!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the replies guys, the clutch is what I have been reading about as well. Ill find out more when he goes to look at it. It is a private seller, so maybe the guy is ready to dump it, Im not sure.

I told him he will hate himself if he doesnt get a PPI and anyone in the exotic world gets one before they buy a car. The clutch and software are what I was looking for, Ill make sure he finds out (obviously I told him to buy a "serviced" car)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
fat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond reputefat cab has a reputation beyond repute
i think Fred still has a body kit for a G-car,If your buddy scores the lambo.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!jstrat85 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
good luck! im also looking for a right price lambo g for the future.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Interested to see if this pans out for your buddy. If car checks out, that's a smokin deal!

Quick Reply: One of my buddies is looking at an 04 Gallardo, need info