Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

McLaren MP4-12C Road Test

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
trax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond reputetrax has a reputation beyond repute

So had a go in the MP4-12C this morning. Just to be able to do a real comparison I took my 458 over. First thing you notice is that they have put the seat controls are in a different place and they work in a different way to every other car on the planet – anyway minor point.

So as you set off the steering feels very light. Next thing you notice is that the pedals have a really good feel to them. I’ve always felt that the brake pedal in the 458 feels too soft – the Mclaren is better. Next thing you of course notice is the airbrake that pops up and down all the time.

I know some journalists have said they don’t like the forced induction sound that you get in the cockpit but I thought it was fine. Sure the exhaust isn’t loud with all the gurgling and popping that you get with the 458 but my neighbors will probably appreciate this fact.

Ground clearance is fine – didn’t have any issues going over speed bumps etc.

Next thing you notice is that the grip is phenomenal and as a result you quickly start driving the car like you are on a racetrack. I was coming into corners way to fast and braking at the last second.

In fact for some reason the car made me drive like a complete hooligan – overtaking everyone and driving way too fast. The other car that makes you do this is the Veyron.

Once we were on that big 6 lane Surrey racetrack they car cruised along with very good cabin noise. Where as in the Ferrari the engine/road noise drown out your passenger’s voice, in the Mclaren you can talk normally.

Criticisms – and none of these are major points

The speedo is hard to read – its too low on the dial. Just as with the 458 you really have to take you eyes off the road to read it.

Personally I felt you need too much movement to change gear – with Ferrari you only need a tiny pull to action the egear – with the MP4 its more movement and a click.

At high speed I thought the steering felt a bit light

Conclusion – a seriously good car to drive which stupidly fast on the road.
I’m really looking forward to getting my car in the not to distant future

Many thanks to McLaren London.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute
great post trax, thanks for sharing with us!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
You have driven all the best supercars out right now. Let us know colors and specs

Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you liked the car, Trax! Now, the big question is this: is the new Macca better than your 458?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic to hear the point of view from a real consumer and not a journalist! Trax thanks so much for taking the time to share this experience with us! So what color did you order?

BTW this article was feature on the Teamspeed.com magazine home page today!!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up trax. The pictures are just as good. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
finally, a customer review! same question as al, and also is this the "updated and improved" version?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
thats the exact color combo id get...minus the painted front lip id keep err black

Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to allgabriel.dufresne is a name known to all
''you must spread out some reputation before giving it to trax again''

thanks for sharing!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the write up... seems that finding a favorite between this car and the Italia will be very difficult.

Last edited by Randy@DomaniMotors; 08-03-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McLaren MP4-12C Road Test