Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

I drove the Mclaren MP4-12C Prototype

Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
allanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond repute
I drove the Mclaren MP4-12C Prototype

Pietro from Mclaren Newport Beach was kind enough to invite Alex and I to be one of the first people to test drive the MP4. We headed on out with high expectations. When we arrived we found 2 Mp4's waiting for us.. One black, one a shade of red. After a brief discussion on how I bought a Dancing Donkey, and that Alex and I decided to buy 2 extinct dinosaurs ( Diablo SV) we were introduced to one of the factory engineers who would first take us out and explain the car and all its features, then we would switch. The goal was to experience every aspect of the car, from launch control, to the different suspension settings etc.

As the engineer put the car through its paces we had a great conversation about many different cars. He told me how when developing the MP4, they had several cars sitting around that were used as bench marks.. The 430 Scuderia, then the 458.. then the 997 Turbo S. He told me how he loved the Porsche, and those were the keys he always grabbed first. I told him of how I owned a Mclaren SLR, and shockingly I expected him to dismiss the car but he instead got really excited. He said he felt the SLR to this day was one of the most fantastic cars ever built and that he had personally put alot of time and effort into it. He said he had recently driven a Gallardo and although the car itself was old he enjoyed it much moreso than he thought he would. His opinion of the Aventador was that it was quite a different car than the MP4, made for 2 totally different buyers. The Aventador being a brutal in your face experience, while the Mp4 was more on the go by unnoticed as you blow the Aventadors doors off.. He also mentioned that he was a HUGE fan of the Nissan GTR.. Lastly on the 458, there was plenty of discussion, his feelings being it is an exceptional car, felt their was abit too much gadgetry going on, but for the most part a great car..

With him driving we did some hard acceleration blasts, some high speed turns, hard braking etc. The Mp4 performed flawlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3qTY7YSSw

Now onto me..

From the moment we drove up, we noticed that instantly the color choice on this car will be very important. The red colored Mp4 did absolutely nothing for me. The black one on the otherhand, with its carbon fiber accents, new style wheels, CCbs, painted calipers and black.red interior looked fantastic. Like 2 totally different cars. Both of these cars were not production versions, they were still pre production prototypes and I believe the same cars driven by all the magazines in Europe and U.S. Sliding into the cabin, you notice its all business. its very comfortable inside, everything situated perfectly. I believe he said the steering wheel was molded from Luis Hamiltons grip. Everything feels very well made. I liked the sitting position in the Mp4 and layout better than in the 458. In the 458 you dont feel as tied down into the car, as you do the Mclaren. While this is good for me, it may not be soo good for others as I think if you are much taller than I, or wider getting in and out is not soo easy, especially on the passanger side. With that being said.. The 458 interior looks cooler, and feels better.. Watching those little redlights on the 458's steering wheel was bad ass. I liked the Mclarens more straightforward approach to the turn signal controls, horns etc to the 458's gadgetry which I could never figure out where it was in time to use it.. ie the horn or turn signal. Also on the 458 the steering wheel always blocked the turnsignal lights, so I never new if I had actually turned them on.. If I had to pinpoint it.. Id say on the interior Mclaren wins in design, while Ferrari wins in execution.

Driving the cars. This is where it gets difficult for me. Everyone wants to build a car that they say can be used everyday. When you do this, for me it dulls the car down too much. I dont want an exotic I can use daily as I dont want to use one daily. No matter how easy it is to drive its just not practical for me. So If I had to explain the drive of the MP4, id say it takes what the 458 does well, and does it better. On the flipside, for the same reasons I didnt like the 458 because it did soo much soo well, it made the reg driving experience somewhat boring and unexciting, just as the MP4 does. The Mp4 's transmission is smoother than the 458s, especially at take off. Shift times i didnt notice any difference, both are fantastic. Brakes are rediculous. Both cars are absolutely amazing when you are driving them full bore, but when you are not....youd hardly know you are in an exotic. The Mp4 is certainly faster than the 458, especially in midrange, has far more torque throughout the entire rev range.. Just gets up and goes.. I was able to do a couple 1st through 5th gear blasts and it pulls very strong. So performance ( I use this term in Allanlambo language, straightline performance) goes to the MP4. Track performance may very well be a toss up, both the 458 and Mp4 have limits soo high I would never explore. Sound, is another story as this I would have to give to the Ferrari.

In the end, the car is a toss up for me. I can absolutely say that if I were to have a choice of a 458 or the Mp4, and I had to keep both stock I would without hesitation take the 458. Once I got the 458, id certainly sell it after a few months just as I did mine. I need to modify cars, and the 458, unless going with another TT system inmo doesnt have much room to grow, both visually and in the HP department. In stock form I also find the 458 much better looking then the Mp4. Stock to stock... 458 inmo is better looking, feels more exotic driving it, and sounds better..

So in the end it sounds like a clear cut vistory for the 458.. Well its not. I picture the Mp4 as Mclaren giving you a blank canvas to make your own. In stock form, yes, its kinda ugly, but Ugly is much easier to make Hot then a car thats already hot. It does have those awesome doors, and some unique touches like the 2 little LED lights on the back bumper. I can already picture how bad ass this car will look when the aftermarket hits it. Just look at the Mp4 GT3 race car.. That car is BAD ass.. Powerwise this car is soo tamed down and its chassis/braking/Handling limits are soo high that it can be easily tuned with another 100-150rwhp without upsetting the balance of the car or compromising any other aspect, not to mention another 100-150rwhp will be soo easy to get.. Youd need to spend 40Gs on a bolt on TT system for the 458, and on this car it would cost virtually nothing. So for a guy like me, who cant leave anything alone, who needs more power, the Mp4 should be the clear choice..

That being said, Alex and I are going to try and drive Aventadors this week.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
allanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond reputeallanlambo has a reputation beyond repute
Some pics...

Attached Images           
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
last

Attached Images       
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for this, I enjoyed the read. So do you think you may buy one on the future?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by DJ
Thanks for this, I enjoyed the read. So do you think you may buy one on the future?
Not sure yet.. Im torn between continuing to spend 300K on cars that will depreciate and being the first kid on the block to have them, or building a collection of cars that are like my Diablo SV, cars that are like money in the bank that I have also always loved. Just seems like i get bored of every new car very quickly.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Full Tilt Rally You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Great review, thanks for sharing. Youre right on about color choice. It really does make a difference. That black looks so mean. The red...meh, nothing special.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Teamspeed

Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned
gmaccormack is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy it put a few miles on it decide if your going to keep it or sell it. Should be able to flip it if you get one of the first in the country.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
yohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond reputeyohanthestud has a reputation beyond repute
very nice write up

Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute
well said, love the pictures btw...

Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond reputeThisFlyGuy has a reputation beyond repute
nice to see real life regular photos of it.....i like the car more and more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I drove the Mclaren MP4-12C Prototype